Gujarat is a state known for its rich heritage, vibrant culture and delicious cuisine.Gujarat is an advanced and prosperous state. In the last 12 years the GDP here is growing at the rate of 12%,which is more than China.Gujarat ranks third in the whole of India in terms of income. Father of Nation Mahatma Gandhi born in Gujarat.
Gujarati Dhokla is one of the most preferred breakfast of Gujarat.Many times it is served as an evening snacks too. It is made with a fermented derived from rice and split chickpeas.It is a thick fermented gram flour steamed till it is like a soft fluffy. Cooled,cut into squares tempered with mustard seeds and garnished with fresh coriander and scraped coconut.
Gujarati dhokla is vegetarian food made with a gram floor and subsequently steamed. The fermentation of the flour enhances its nutritive value. The fermented dal adds to the fibre and protein content of he dish. Dhokla has a low glycemic indes(it releases glucose at a more sustained rate) which makes it good for diabetics.
- 1 cup of Besan flour
- 1 tablespoon semolina(Rava,optional)
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp baking soda or Eno powder (eno fruit salt)
- 1 tsp green chilies – ginger grated.
- ¾ cup of water.
- ¼ cup curd
- 1 tsp oil(for greasing the plate)
- Keep all the ingredients ready to prepare the batter for dhokla. Put about 2-3 cups of water in a vessel to make dhokla and keep it on mediam flme to heat.Before placing the plate,heat the utensils for making dhokla for at least 4-5 minutes.Grease 2 small plates (4-5 inch diameter ot whatever can be esily kept in the dhokla making vessel) by applying 1 tsp of oil.
- In a large bowl,add gram flour,semolina,lemons juices, greem chillies-ginger paste,curd ¾ cup water and salt. Mix it well wit a spoon.There should be no lumps.
- Now add eno powder and stir for 1 min.the pudding double in size.
- Now immediately pour the pudding in to the oiled plate.pour the pudding only to ½ inch height of the plate.
- Place a stand in the dhokali and steam for 10-12 min on medium flme with a plate covered with pudding.
- Afer 10-12 minutes,Insert the knife,then the dhokla has risen otherwise cook for another 2-3 mins.
- Turn off the gas.take out the dhokla plate from the dhokla and let it cool for a few minutes.cut the dhokla into pieces with the knife.
- Heat oil in a separate small pan.Add asafodida in it.when it starts to sputter,add cumin seeds,sesame seeds,curry leaves and green chilies and sauté for few seconds.
- Add 1/3 of water and and sugar and let it boil.cook for a minute afer it comes to a boil , pour it on the dhokla and gently toss the dhokla so that the it sticks on dhokla properly.
- Sift the besan and sooji properly,so that the batter doesn’t have any lumps.
- While combining the water do not add too much water.by doing so,you can ruin the shape and consistency of your batter as it will become too watery.
- Do not whisk for too long,as soon as everything is well combined pour it into a tray and steam it.